On Dec 7th, at a ‘wind farm’ information meeting in Durham Ont., the unthinkable happened. In the Province of Ontario a 52 year old woman was assaulted for having in her possession several small signs – ” ‘Health Studies BEFORE Wind Turbines’.
What makes this story even more chilling is the fact govt. is paying both the police and the wind industry via your tax dollars. While the industry runs roughshod over the rights of those who call Rural Ont. home, it appears they have the complete backing of the Government of Ontario
This is Fascism/Corporatism and it must not be tolerated by anyone in this Province – regardless of your feeling about wind energy.
“Fascism should rightly be called corporatism, as it is the merger of state and corporate power” – Benito Mussolini
This is her story –
In an extremely surreal moment, there I was, 5′1″, 52 years old, a mom who home-schooled one child, ran another to piano and flute lessons weekly, dedicated county nursing home employee for over a decade, advocate for health and safety re industrial wind turbines for rural families, being dragged out of the Durham Community Center by two towering ’strongarms’ because I had 4 ‘Health Studies, BEFORE Wind Turbines’, in my hand. They said I was “disturbing the public peace”.
I walked into the room with 4 cardboard 1 x 3′ yellow ‘Health Studies BEFORE Wind Turbines’ signs stacked together intending to sit at one of the tables near the entrance to wait for friends to finish making their rounds.
The ‘cops for hire wearing West Grey Police Force uniforms’ pounced. They told me I could not bring those signs into that room. I was taken aback by this and said ” You are kidding, right?”
“NO”, they said, “YOU MAY NOT HAVE THOSE HERE. YOU HAVE TO LEAVE.” Startled, I backed up, held the signs up and told a friend that ‘they told me I can’t even have these signs here!’ (Another in attendance noted that the signs were not on sticks being waved about; that I was not threatening anyone with them, just in case you are wondering…..)
In a flash the two cops possibly weighing a combined 580 lbs., each had one of my arms so that I couldn’t move at all, were forcibly ripping the signs from my hands and telling me that if I resisted I would be put in jail. They repeated that I would be put in jail if I resisted.
Some advice from the sixties floated into mind….go limp….go limp, so I did!
I don’t have time to be in jail for holding 4 ‘Health Studies BEFORE Wind Turbines’ sign in a Nextera wind company open house! Christmas is coming! I’m not ready yet!
My shoulders still hurt today.
Nextera wind company had another public open house meeting in Durham on Monday, Dec. 7th so they could consult with us some more. Since they were not willing to write down information they were adamantly giving out verbally at last week’s meeting. I took my little recorder along to save the trouble of even asking them to write it down.
There was no more talk about a 40 dBA as the noise limit. One of the very clever West Grey councilors noted that on Nextera’s own handouts there is a chart that shows turbines sitting at the 45 dBA noise level.
People at the meeting were commenting on how they were sent from rep to rep in the vain hope that one of them would have an answer to their questions. I was having the same difficulty, although some of the wind reps did say how nice it was to see me again.
My questions were:
- Why isn’t Daniel D’Entremont able to live in his home situated next to the turbines you own? Oh, I seem to have more information on this situation than you do?
- Are you still saying, as you did last week in Moorefield, that the noise level of the turbines you plan to build will never exceed 40 dBA at point of reception? You’re asking why I’m recording this and what I’m planning to do with this? What’s that, maybe we should talk to the environmental people? We should write down our questions? You’re from Florida and you’re not an expert?
- What studies done by health professionals on human beings do you use to show that the turbines are safe to site within 2km of people?
- Can you tell me what mitigation you offer if there are health issues after turbines start up?
- What are people supposed to do if turbines are over the 40 dBA (or as the chart indicates, 45 dBA) level? Yes, I’m recording this. You won’t answer anything when I’m recording your answer? Why?
- If we write our questions down on the survey you’ve provided, will you answer those questions personally? As long as we provide contact information? Yes, that’s fine. (This is the only question I got a direct answer to. Unfortunately, I was unable to hand in the neatly filled out form I had completed. I can only hope they found it on the table at cleanup time….)
One fellow asked if anyone was interested in having a more ‘public’ forum so that all could hear answers to questions people were asking. Apparently, that was not possible because the wind company wanted to ‘present the information in a way that people could ask questions and get answers’. (huh?)
After that exchange, one of the WAG group members asked if they could have the ‘Health Studies BEFORE Wind Turbines’ signs they had asked me to bring. I was very happy to accommodate this request, I brought the signs into the lobby, counted off 25 for them and had 4 signs left over.
Do you know that, rather than traipse across the parking lot on a cold winter’s night to return those 4 signs to my car, I had the utter GALL to go into the Nextera public open house in the local community center with the leftover signs?